CNC machining services are most commonly provided by manufacturers who also use CNC equipment to make their parts, but they can also be provided by outside service providers. Whether you’re considering machining your parts or you’re looking to work with an outside service provider, there are many different machining services you can get in addition to traditional CNC machining offers a lot of benefits to manufacturers, but it can be hard to know which of the many types of CNC machining services you should choose for your manufacturing business. These are available in different sizes and shapes, so they can help you find the perfect service to meet your needs.
- Milling: Milling is a process that uses a milling cutter, which is either an end-mill cutter or a side-mill cutter to remove large volumes of material from the surface of the workpiece. It is a machining process in which a cutting tool called a milling tool rotates at high speed while it cuts the surface material on the workpiece to achieve some desired shape. Milling allows for deep cuts with straight edges and corners. There are several types of milling processes: roughing, semi-finishing, finishing, and profiling. Roughing mills the bulk material quickly to create a surface that can be used as the basis for other operations. Semi-finishing mills remove more material than roughing but not as much as finishing mills do; this type creates surfaces ready for final machining operations such as drilling holes or adding threads.
- Turning: In the manufacturing industry, there are many types of machining services that manufacturers offer. Turning is one process that is used in a variety of industries and applications. It is a machining process in which a cutting tool called a turning tool and component rotates at high speed while it cuts the surface material on the workpiece to achieve some desired shape. The depth (or thickness) of the cut can be controlled by adjusting the feed rate and depth of cut settings. CNC Turning job work uses both manual and automated tools, but only with manually operated tools does one person control both feed rate and depth of cut.
- Drilling is a type of CNC machining service that manufacturers offer to drill holes in a variety of materials. The holes can be drilled straight or angled and can be left with a hole size. These services are often used by manufacturers who need to cut through large pieces of material. There are many different types of drilling methods, including Straight drilling is used when the material needs to have holes drilled straight through it. This type has three major types: end milling, face milling, and edge milling. End milling is used when the material needs to have holes drilled out at an angle. Face milling and edge milling are similar to end milling but they use smaller drills. Drill bits are what most people think of when they think about drills. Drill bits come in various shapes, sizes, and cutting lengths (also called flutes) which help them get into tight spaces more easily. They also come in a variety of grades, which refer to how coarsely they grind away material while drilling.
- Tapping: CNC machining is a popular process that can be used to create a wide variety of products. It is performed using a computerized numerical controller. The CNC machine moves the cutting tool to the workpiece based on programmed instructions from a CAD drawing or 3D model. There are many different types of machining services, including tapping and thread cutting, drilling, milling, and turning.
- Sawing: Sawing is the process of using a rotating toothed blade to cut material. Sawing can be performed manually with a saw or powered by an electric motor. There are four types of sawing: hand, table, power, and circular saws. Hand saws use a manual reciprocating motion to cut wood or metal, while table saws use a pull-down motion. Power saws can be used for both materials and require either an internal or external source for their energy supply. Circular saws are used in materials that are too thin for other types of tools like hand and table as well as non-metal materials such as plastic sheets and plywood sheets.
- Routing: Different businesses offer different types of services for their customers. One type is routing, which is primarily used for manufacturing purposes. A router is a machine that allows you to cut out shapes and patterns in wood or metal. Different machines have different features and capabilities. For example, some can only cut shapes in one direction while others can cut shapes both horizontally and vertically. Some are only capable of working with a particular material while others work with many materials.
- Waterjet Cutting: Using a powerful, high-pressure waterjet, this process is capable of cutting through any type of metal. This type of machining service can be used for specialized projects that require intricate cuts to tight tolerances. The downside to waterjet cutting is the cost. It's typically more expensive than laser cutting or plasma cutting due to the precision required and the materials it has to cut through. However, if you need an accurate cut that will last a long time, this is probably your best option.